The GIMP Registry plugin

I was trying to create a beveled edge on a centre block the other day.

I used a rectangle with rounded corners, selected it and shrunk the selection, then subtracted that from the original rectangle to give me a border. I used a foreground to transparent gradient to provide the bevel in the same light direction as the drop shadow I had already made.

That didn't work and it wasn't transferable to the web. The gradient changed colour on the vertical so I couldn't make a simple middle slice and repeat as many times as necessary for variable height.

I then discovered the GIMP Plug-In registry and searched there for anything with bevel capability. I found the Layer Effects plug-ins and am experimenting with those.

This plug-in provides a lot - bevel and emboss, drop and inner shadows, glows, satin, various overlays of colours, gradients and patterns and you can stroke the outline of a graphic too.

It does provide a lot more than the standard filters available in GIMP (as of v2.4.6).

I have an early result. My graphic art needs improvement and I am always happy to receive feedback.

Comments

Popular Posts